Bless the Lord, O My Soul



Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name!  

There are moments I sit down at my computer to write what is going on in my heart and find that I often start the opening sentence several times, only to backspace and try again...and again.  I stop, close my eyes and talk to the Lord, wanting so much to share what I feel bursting from within, yet cannot find words that can possibly describe the magnitude of the thankfulness and praise that flood my soul. 

Often, my tears transform into words poured upon my laptop; other times, my words become tears as an offering of praise to Almighty God. I have learned to appreciate both forms as equally valued expressions of the deep love I have for my Savior. 

I’ve noticed however, if my life becomes too busy with the daily obligations and my lists of “things to do”, added to the worries of the world, that “bursting fountain” begins to trickle down to a shallow sprinkle. It’s as if there is a break in the line somewhere...

...and there is.

God’s Word tells us that He inhabits the praise of His people. (Psalm 22:3) 

There is a powerful principle here that works when we apply it in every situation.

I am convinced that our enemy stalks us just as the Bible describes it: “a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour”. He is an enemy who has studied our habits and tendencies, knows our weaknesses, and uses them against us. 

If you tend to have insecurity issues, Satan will punch you in the gut with a verbal blow from a fellow believer. If you tend to have control issues, he will send the barking dogs of Performance and Perfectionism. He is the leaky faucet in the mind of the one who seeks for a decent night’s sleep. He is the pebble in the shoe of your past, sending constant reminders of its pain. 

But, I have noticed that the more time I spend praising God, the less time I have to acknowledge the torment of the enemy. The enemy and his cohorts cannot stand in the presence of a Holy God; therefore, if God inhabits the praise of His people, and you have filled your heart, mind, soul, as well as your surroundings with praise, the enemy will be scattered. (Psalm 68)

Just begin with, “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy, holy name!”  (Psalm 103) 

Even if that’s all you say all day long, do it! It’s a start. 

Say it. Shout it! Pray it. Live it. Walk it. Talk it. Do it. 

Do it!

In Jesus name.

"Glory in His holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice!" (Psalm 105:3)


Bless the LORD, O my soul,
And all that is within me, bless His holy name.
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
And forget none of His benefits;
Who pardons all your iniquities,
Who heals all your diseases;
Who redeems your life from the pit,
 Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion;
 Who satisfies your years with good things,
 So that your youth is renewed like the eagle.
Psalm 103: 1-5

2 comments:

  1. Shari, thank you so much for the valuable reminder to praise our Holy Father continously as a shield against the ever-roaming enemy. Especially uplifting for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Kathy. Yes, we often fail to acknowledge or practice the power of praise, applying only when things are going well. I am forever learning to praise Him in the storm, knowing He has allowed it for a divine purpose. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this post. I appreciate every comment. Blessings!